Saturday 27 February 2010

Canadian Women Hockey Team - Champagne and Cigars!

I was upset when I heard the story on the news concerning our Canadian Women Hockey Team that after a much awaited for victory and years of hard work, the ladies decided to have a little party on the ice. Two hours after the women's hockey team won 2-0 over the American team in the final, the medalists went back on the ice. They had waited until all the fans had cleared the building and being in a state of joyousness gravitated out to the arena where they had had their glorious win. To be connected to the ice where it all began and ended. Only to be ratted out by an American journalist who had just seen his team trounced.    
Brit photographer Alex Livesey thought it his duty to take pictures and ensure they got into the hands of the media. Sour grapes? Furthering ones career on the misery of others. Oops! I forgot, that's what the media do!

The Canadian women had just become the first team in history to capture gold at three consecutive Olympics. I agree that they probably erred in going back to the ice, not because of any moral issue but because there area always people willing to see the bad side of everything.

Are we not creating a double edged sword when we allow Jon Montgomery to swill most of a pitcher of beer on camera after winning the men's skeleton and for some reason, no one complained then. Is it then because the team in question are women?

The ladies have apologized That should be the end of it!
 “In the excitement of the moment, the celebration left the confines of our dressing room and shouldn’t,” they said in a statement. “The team regrets that its gold-medal celebrations may have caused the IOC or COC any embarrassment.”

7 comments:

Lorac said...

Sorry everyone, I didn't realize that comments weren't working!

Lorac said...

Just checking to ensure they are working!

me ann my camera said...

I thought the womwn's hockey games were great! I have been noticing every little girl in minor hockey at our rink ... wondering if they had been influenced by such a powerful showing? I had not been too aware of the party on ice. I heard of it , but did not pursue details. It is such human nature, unfortunately, to find fault and flaunt your knowing of it for self gain and career embellishment. such is life, Your mention of Jon Montgomery's pitcher of beer is a fine example of double standards and flaunting rule breaking as 'cute'. All the Canadian athletes deserve room for a bit of personal celebrtion. Go Canada! Wow!. such a wonderful show!. Lets praise it!. Ann

Lorac said...

Anne,I couldn't agree more!

Serline said...

Reminds me of a definition someone once told me about "Protestant" - someone who is constantly worried that someone else somewhere might be having fun... guess Livesey fits perfectly!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

At least they apologized.

Unknown said...

Hi Lorac!

I value your comment so much which you had posted on my blog-post "Skywatch Friday" but unfortunately, by oversight and mistake, the whole post got deleted by me while updating the same and I lost all my most valuable comments from all my friends. I could manage to retrieve the same post after much hardships, however. I hope and would love to see you back on my blog once again...thank you ...